451 Route 146 Guilderland Center, N.Y.
Mynderse-Frederick House today
Mynderse-Frederick House with Victorian porch.
The Mynderse-Frederick House retains a high level of integrity including its floor plan, staircase, windows, doors, moldings and fireplaces. It is a fine local example of Federal and Greek Revival era residential architecture.
The Mynderse-Frederick House is listed on the New York State and the National Registers of Historic Places for its historic and architectural significance. The house and its contents provide a rare glimpse of the community's agrarian past and have been carefully preserved for the benefit and enjoyment of town residents and visitors.
The Mynderse-Frederick House was built in 1802 by Nicholas Mynderse, a merchant from Schenectady, who operated an inn and a tavern. In 1803, Nicholas Mynderse was elected the first supervisor for the newly-formed town of Guilderland, which was previously part of Watervliet.
Mynderse served as Town Supervisor for one year. He died in the 1820s and the Guilderland Center property was purchased by Michael Frederick, a descendent of one of the area's early settlers. The house was used as a tavern until 1900 and remained a private family residence until 1940.
During the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries the house was enlarged and updated. It reflected the changing needs and tastes of the Frederick family. During the 1960s, many of the later additions were removed in an effort to return the house to its original appearance. In 1974, the house was donated to the Town of Guilderland for use as a museum and for the headquarters of the Guilderland Historical Society.